Install additional header-files to allow separate plugin builds

Tiziano Müller dev-zero at gentoo.org
Wed Jul 4 13:03:51 GMT 2007

Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
> Tiziano Müller wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>
>> I just wondered recently why all available plugins (samba-vscan, pdbsql)
>> need the complete samba source tree to build. So I started to experiment
>> and with the tree below, it's possible to successfully build the
>> mentioned plugins/backends (but didn't test them yet :-)
>
>> Now, are there any plans to install the relevant header-files in the
>> future? Even if the API is still unstable?
>
> It's not a good idea to install all these headers.  We need to
> clean up  the code to allow a small set of public headers
> that people can build against.
I know that it's a bad idea. The problem is only that at the moment
samba-vscan is integrated into the samba-package here on Gentoo (don't
worry, the user has to enable it separately). And we got another request
for pdbsql. The only possibility for us to separate the packages is to
install those headers.

Is there somebody working on it or some concrete plans when the cleanup
will happen?
At the moment, samba-vscan and pdbsql are broken anyway for samba-3.0.25
due to api-changes, so, no hurry :-)

Thanks for your time,
Tiziano