[Samba] Support for multiple file streams?

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Jul 2 16:50:54 GMT 2007

[moved to technical]

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 09:41 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> I really dislike mapping streams into EA's - I think in
> the long run this will be a disaster.

I concur, 4k EAs will be filled up with junk and will steal precious
space from other more important apps (SELinux ?).

>  I'd rather use
> a .streams: directory and store streams as directories
> within it. It sucks for plain POSIX but will give correct
> (seekable + large size) semantics for Windows clients.

I was thinking if it couldn't be better to use just one directory in the
root of the filesystem and within it create a directory for each file
where we want to write an alternate stream. The idea would be to use the
files inode as the dir name 0x123456 and inside it the stream name as
file name for the stream. This way renaming or moving the file wouldn't
loose the streams. Does it make sense?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce