Samba3 memory usage, iconv

Mon Jul 2 12:10:04 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 08:37:07PM +1000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> To really scale Samba to large numbers of connections I think we will
> need to adopt a pre-fork process model, more like apache. So we'd
> specify how many smbd processes to fork (say 32 or 64 for a typical
> server) then spread the load across those processes. I suspect we'd be
> able to support between 10x and 50x as many connections on a given
> server with that model.

I've looked at making Samba3 pre-forked a bit. I think it is
doable. The global variables I looked at fall into two
categories: One is these static pstrings for
sid_string_static and the other class is the per-client
ones. Metze had the idea to wrap all these per-client ones
into a big structure.

We still have the problem of blocking operations. Here I
think in theory we could do an on-demand forking. When we
hit a non-converted blocking operation, we could just fork
the daemon that is about to block and silently close all
other sockets. We're no worse off than before, and with each
blocking call we remove we're getting better.

Volker