dealing with usernames containing whitespace

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Jan 31 03:20:26 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 18:49 -0800, Raymond Lillard wrote:

> What about Win users that put "_" in the file name?

The only problem I see is if you have both a 'Foo Bar' AND a 'Foo_Bar'
user, but in that case I think the admin is mad and you can avoid to set
that parameter and keep your spaces :)

> I have trained "most" of my users to not put spaces
> and other punctuation chars in file names.  I'd not
> like to explain to those kind souls (who actually
> listen to me) why their "_"s keep disappearing.

Why should '_' disappear?
We keep the original name so we don't need to reverse the process and
remove underscores when sending back a name.

> What about using a colon, which I believe is disallowed
> in Windows, but allowed in Unix?

It would be even worst than spaces probably.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer