hash-based notify and dnotify?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Jan 30 22:07:32 GMT 2007

Volker,

Thanks for your work porting this stuff to Samba3. I'm glad the
horrible directory scanning notify code will finally be laid to rest!

I think we should support inotify and FAM. We should enable inotify by
default if available as its such a cheap and good interface for
us. I'm less certain we should enable FAM by default if available -
I'm more inclined to have it enabled only if specified in smb.conf
explicitly. If we enable FAM by default and the system in fact only
has dnotify underneath then we'll end up just having moved the
directory scanning to a different process, but with the same
performance problems. Or can we ask FAM "what method are you using to
provide this interface?"

Cheers, Tridge