CTDB in Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 22 22:45:27 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 16:32 -0600, Abhijith Das wrote:
> Hi all,
> I watched the video of Tridge's talk on ctdb this morning; very cool.
> Kudos to all involved in the effort!
> I have a few questions about this clustering effort and I'm hoping I can
> get some answers here.
>
> 1. As I understand it, ctdb is being included in Samba4. Is there an
> effort to backport it to Samba3?
>
> 2. Are ctdb and tdb inter-changeable as far as samba is concerned? i.e
> can we plug in one or the other into Samba with ease?

No, each database must be converted (and apparently this is much more
than a mechanical transition).  In the meantime, there is a hack to
store the other tdbs on the cluster backend, where the (presumably
slower) filesystem should handle it correctly, but slower.

> 3. Transparent failover of samba services: As I'd understood it before,
> transparent failover of a samba service from one node to another was not
> possible without the client reconnecting (as active connections to smbd
> are severed). Does ctdb (or any other current clustering effort) allow
> for transparent failover of samba services across nodes?

On this point no:  The shared state does not include enough information
for some front-end device to migrate active connections.  Indeed, the
design is predicated on a client disconnection loosing locks (and
therefore less need to replicate data).