Samba 3.0 - Bug preventing mkfifo as non-root

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 15:49:28 GMT 2007

Hi there,

We are observing a behaviour, that we consider to be a bug, with Samba
3.0server and mounting shares through CIFS. Subsequently, in the
mounted CIFS
filesystem we try to create a FIFO using the mkfifo command. This fails,
except in the case where root is an admin user for the share on the server
and it is root creating the FIFO on the client. FIFO creation should not
require root privilegies.

smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = test
   server string = smb test
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  log level = 7
  store dos attributes = yes
  max log size = 50
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
   dns proxy = no
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes
  unix extensions = yes
  delete readonly = yes
  ea support = yes
  idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
  idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
  template shell = /bin/false
  winbind use default domain = no
  inherit permissions = yes
  map acl inherit = yes
  guest ok = yes
  guest account = nobody

[test]
    comment = /test
    path = /test
    fstype = Samba
    max connections = 0
    printable = no
    public = no
    writeable = yes
    strict sync = yes
    admin users = cifs

We mount with "mount -t cifs -osetuids,user=cifs,password=test
//localhost/test /mnt/test/"

The command that fails is "mkfifo /mnt/test/afifo"

Is this a design behaviour and if so, what are the technical reasons for
this design?

--
Anders