samba configuration via rpc - beyond registry shares

Wed Jan 3 16:12:09 GMT 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 02:48:56PM +0000, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>   As an initial step, one should be able to request the state be
> written out in textual form, so you can use a side-by-side diff
> program to inspect the differences between the registry and the
> smb.conf, and then either commit or abort the changes to both
> the smb.conf and the registry.

What I'd like to see is something like testparm walking the
sources for smb.conf settings. Having code writing to
smb.conf is something I would like to avoid if possible.
Look at passdb/pdb_smbpassd.c to see how difficult it is to
safely write a much simpler text file.

>   The latter might be done by evaluating the smb.conf and "pushing"
> the state of it to the registry...

Sure, the other direction could also benefit from a separate
tool.

>   Think of this as a synchronization problem: one doesn't necessarily
> have a master, one has a way of committing individual changes from
> either to both, and it;s easiest for a Unix person to do that at the
> Samba end.

I'd delegate the sync problem to the human admin.

What about the following policy: Once a particular setting
in the main smb.conf is found, none of the settings there
apply anymore, its contents are completely thrown away, and
only the registry (or some other potential later source) is
looked at.

Some thing like "config backend = registry" or so. No
stacking, just a single step.

This way all existing configs still work, and it would be an
explicit manual step by the admin to enable the registry
config. And we don't have any policy problems with one
backend overruling the other.

Volker