Managing DNs in libads only in utf8

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Feb 27 19:07:52 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:55 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 01:46:48PM -0500, simo wrote:
> >
> > The practical example is the group membership bug I posted to this
> > thread with also a bug report we have in our bugzilla.
>
> Doesn't the patch I sent fix that ?

NO, it doesn't even fix the original problem, see the other email.

> > I'll do that after Jeremy shows he has read the thread :-)
>
> I've read the entire thread.

hmmm... then you suffer of selective amnesia :-)

> > It is obvious we can't make miracles, if you use a KOIR set of
> > characters on disk and you are sent a japanese chracter in the file name
> > we have no choice but drop it and tell to switch to utf8 to fix such
> > problems.
>
> This is the *same* problem.

No.

> > But there are cases when we never hit the disk or any syscall, and in
> > these cases I don't see why we should be lazy and not fix an easily
> > fixable problem.
>
> We're just lying to the user. We can't fix this issue properly without
> unix charset = utf8, and I hate having to say, *sometimes* this works,
> sometimes it doesn't. It's much easier to say "if unix charset != utf8
> then things will break, we make no guarentees". This is simply (IMHO)
> unneeded extra work that breaks one of our fundamental assumptions
> about the charset boundary between components. For that reason alone
> it's a bad idea.

I think, and Volker seem to agree, we can make it safe to have utf8
strings for DNs in libads, please take a look at the next proposed patch
and let's talk about actual code and not ghosts ...

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer