Managing DNs in libads only in utf8

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Feb 27 18:55:05 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 01:46:48PM -0500, simo wrote:

> The practical example is the group membership bug I posted to this
> thread with also a bug report we have in our bugzilla.

Doesn't the patch I sent fix that ?

> I'll do that after Jeremy shows he has read the thread :-)

I've read the entire thread.

> It is obvious we can't make miracles, if you use a KOIR set of
> characters on disk and you are sent a japanese chracter in the file name
> we have no choice but drop it and tell to switch to utf8 to fix such
> problems.

This is the *same* problem.

> But there are cases when we never hit the disk or any syscall, and in
> these cases I don't see why we should be lazy and not fix an easily
> fixable problem.

We're just lying to the user. We can't fix this issue properly without
unix charset = utf8, and I hate having to say, *sometimes* this works,
sometimes it doesn't. It's much easier to say "if unix charset != utf8
then things will break, we make no guarentees". This is simply (IMHO)
unneeded extra work that breaks one of our fundamental assumptions
about the charset boundary between components. For that reason alone
it's a bad idea.

Jeremy.