bitmaps as special enums?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Feb 21 14:26:21 GMT 2007

Hi Tridge,

Bitmaps and enums are similar in a lot of cases. I'd like to merge them
into one type but have an attribute of some sort to indicate that
multiple values can be used. In other words, I'd like to make bitmaps a
special kind of enums.

This has the following advantages:

 * Less code duplication (distinction is mainly important for the
wireshark dissector and the print functions).
 * Better portability (other IDL compilers don't support bitmaps).

Since you are the original author of this code, would you object to
having this changed? Or perhaps any disadvantages to the approach I'm
proposing that you can think of?

Cheers,

Jelmer