DST Compliance Query

John Chapman arafangion at fussycoder.id.au
Tue Feb 20 21:43:11 GMT 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:30:03 +1100, Viswanathan, Karthik (GTI)
<Karthik_Viswanathan at ml.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use the following products from Samba
> Magic Client 8.30..1
> Magic Sock 1.2.003
> We want to know if these are DST - Day Light Saving Time compliant or
> not.
> If not could you please give the patch information for the same by
> replying all to this email

I am just a user myself, but perhaps I can clarify anyway, as I'm certain
that this is a legitimate question posed by a non-developer :)
1) The samba team does not write or use "Magic Client" or "Magic Sock".
2) Samba has very little to do with daylight saving time - that's a
function of the Operating System.
3) If DST Compliance is important, check your OS, and consider a
centralized time server for your corporation - this will ensure that time
is kept in sync. THis is out of the scope of this email list.
4) You might be able to ask for patches against old versions of samba, but
it is unreasonable to expect a patch against some random project that
simply uses samba's code - perhaps with heavy modifications - you ask the
maintainer for THAT company instead.
5) This is a developer's list.  Consider paying for a contractor or
company if you want specialized work, or ask an in-house developer at your
company to investigate.