samba-gtk as a separate tree?
jelmer at samba.org
Sat Feb 10 18:48:04 GMT 2007
I would like to propose to remove the Gtk+ utilities from the current
Samba4 branch and maintain them as a separate tree. There are
several reasons for doing so:
* The Samba 4 tree is getting big. Some build farm hosts (AIX IIRC) are already
complaining about too much arguments being passed to the linker,
Disk space is also a concern. Only some people will be interested
in Gtk+ frontends.
* No big upstream to track for package maintainers. Handling a
project with 20 binary packages is much easier than handling a
project with 40 or 50.
The build dependencies are also a bit saner without the gtk stuff.
* Less difference in possible build environments (only two or three
build farm hosts build the Gtk+ stuff)
* Incentive to keep the shared library stuff working
* GUI stuff isn't really a core part of Samba anyway. Only a small
part of our users will be interested in it.
There's admittedly a bit of overlap between some of the reasons mentioned above.
The only good reason for keeping the utilities I can think of is that
it lowers the boundary for users to check them out.
Any objections or other comments? If not, I'd like to remove the gtk+ utilities
from Subversion and maintain them as a separate Bazaar tree on
More information about the samba-technical