DNS query with Netbios domain

Todd Stecher todd.stecher at isilon.com
Fri Feb 9 07:33:47 GMT 2007

Given an ADS domain foobar.zippy.com, I'm seeing quite a few DNS
queries originating from resolve_ads() / ads_dns_query_dcs() with the
form:

_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.foobar

I would typically expect to see this query actually take the form:

_ldap._tcp.dc_msdcs.foobar.zippy.com

In all of my years sniffing wire traffic in windows enterprises, I've
never seen the first form - that just doesn't seem like a "real" DNS
domain name / SRV query.  Is there some element of configuration I'm
missing which would make this work?  Does anyone expect it to?  These
queries fail pretty quickly on my system, but it seems like
unnecessary overhead.

Todd Stecher | Windows Interop Dev
Isilon Systems    P +1-206-315-7500     F  +1-206-315-7501
www.isilon.com    D +1-206-315-7638    M +1-425-205-1180