smbd forking and vfs

dhruva dhruvakm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 06:34:34 GMT 2007

On 2/8/07, Novgorodsky, Sergey <sergeynovgorodsky at insiteone.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How does forking a new smbd process interact with VFS modules?
> Are VFS modules shared in any way between all running smbd processes?

I am making a humble attempt at answering this question, please
correct me if I am wrong:

Since the forking happens at the top, I guess the VFS modules are
loaded after the fork. Hence, each VFS share library will be mapped to
the address space of the new process through calls to dlopen() [ A
win32 loadlibrary() equivalent]. IMO, there is no in memory sharing
but a COW (copy on write) mechanism might be used to optimize the
fork() behavior which is OS specifics.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!