Vista(by default NTLMv2) - Samba Security = domain, connection from vista failed

gomathi palanimuthu gomathi82 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 08:21:52 GMT 2007

Are you calling Samba by the same name it is registered with the DC as?

yes, with the same name whatever registered with DC, i am trying to connect
from vista (not a member of DC).

1. Connection from vista(non-member of DC) - failed -i added domain username
to smbpasswd file also.
2. Connection from vista(member of  DC) - success . I think this is becos i
added domain username entry to unix smbpasswd file . So, connection got
succeeded.
Also, in vista i disabled firewall.
Here is my smb.conf file. Please correct if anything wrong. It will be
helpful even a small clue is given by someone.
[global]
#unix charset = LOCALE
workgroup = W2K3R2
netbios name = goms7
#realm = W2K3R2.LOCAL
encrypt passwords = yes
server string = Samba 3.0.23b
security = DOMAIN
password server = 172.16.140.210
auth methods = ntdomain
#wins server = 10.8.8.45
#wins support = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
log level = 10
syslog = 0
log file = /var/%m
max log size = 100
local master = no
stat cache = no
kernel oplocks = no
oplocks = no
level2oplocks = no
printcap name = CUPS
#winbind use default domain = yes
#ldap ssl = no
#idmap uid = 10000-20000
#idmap gid = 20001-30000
#winbind enum users = yes
#winbind enum groups = yes
#template shell = /bin/bash
#winbind separator = +
#winbind cache time = 120
printing = cups
map to guest = Never
use spnego = yes
client use spnego = no
server signing = yes
client signing = yes
max connections = 10

Not relevant to why the server fails to accept NTLMv2, but why are you
turning 'client ntlmv2 auth = no'?
------------ I removed this entry from smb.conf, but still not working.