Vista(by default NTLMv2) - Samba Security = domain, connection from vista failed

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 6 03:19:10 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 12:14 +0900, gomathi palanimuthu wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> The error i got in vista is STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. Even with correct
> credentials, vista couldnt get authenticated against domain controller via
> samba.

Are you calling Samba by the same name it is registered with the DC as?

> I have tried forcing ntlmv2 only  in 2003 domain controller too.
> *Also, by default samba3.0.23b or samba3.0.23d respond to ntlmv2
> connection?? or i shud configure samba accordingly(ie. by setting lanman
> auth = no, ntlm auth = no, client NTLMv2 auth = no) to support ntlmv2
> connection???*

Samba accepts NTLMv2 by default.

Not relevant to why the server fails to accept NTLMv2, but why are you
turning 'client ntlmv2 auth = no'?

> Attached the non-working ethereal packets info. in which NTLMSSP_AUTH is
> failing with the mentioned parameters.
> I think some smb.conf parameters are missing. Please correct if i am wrong.

By ethereal (now wireshark) trace, we meant the pcap format packet
capture, not the text...