Client umask settings not horoured in CIFS.

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 19:40:39 GMT 2007

On 2/5/07, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:44:05AM +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > During testing, it has been noted that the CIFS client does not seem to
> > honour the umask
>
> This all depends on what you have set as "create mask" etc.
> on the server.

Even with create mask set to 7777 and security mask set to 0000, umask
is being ignored. Stracing the testcase when running it on a ext3 filesystem
and then on the mounted share show that the open() calls are identical.

I know the Server enforces permissions, but the files on the share does not
have write perms stripped for group and others, while on ext3, they do get
stripped, so I wonder if this is a cifsfs client 'feature'.

I'll try and dig through the client code, in case this is something I can
find.

Cheers!

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>