Vista(by default NTLMv2) - Samba Security = domain, connection from vista failed

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 13:16:29 GMT 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 12:18, gomathi palanimuthu wrote:
> I've been testing out Windows Vista Enterprise today.  It defaults to only
> using NTLMV2 authentication.

[...]

> *client NTLMv2 auth = yes*
> *client lanman auth = no*
> *ntlm auth = no*
> *lanman auth = no* (Read from lists.org that if we set ntlm auth as well as
> lanman auth to 'no', samba will default to NTLMv2 security support).
> But, still connection is not working from Vista.

Are you sure the "ntlm auth = no" is correct? I'm not running a windows domain
myself, so I can't check but in any case samba should correctly negotiate
NTLMv2 if the other side requests this. Speaking as someone who has little
clue about running samba and quite some idea how the samba ntlm code works,
I'm sure samba tries to do NTLMv2 authentication initially.

> Is there any configuration parameters missed out for this particular type
> of security??

Unless someone can offer additional config parameters I have no idea about, I
guess we would be interested in a network capture of a non-working and a
working authentication attempt.

Of course I'm not a samba dev, so those more familiar with all this might have
a way better solution.

Cheers,
Kai
--
Kai Blin, <kai Dot blin At gmail Dot com>
WorldForge developer    http://www.worldforge.org/