Vista(by default NTLMv2) - Samba Security = domain, connection from vista failed

gomathi palanimuthu gomathi82 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 11:18:39 GMT 2007

Hi ,

I've been testing out Windows Vista Enterprise today.  It defaults to only
using NTLMV2 authentication.

I'm testing with Samba 3.0.23b which is configured to security = domain

The password server is a Windows Server 2003 domain controller.  I've joined
Samba to the domain.

I simply can't get Vista to connect unless I change its security policy to
"send NTLM/NTLMV1 use NTLMV2 if negotiated".  Then it connects just fine.

But Vista should work with its default of 'only NTLMV2', right??

I have tried by configuring smb.conf with following parameters:

*client NTLMv2 auth = yes*
*client lanman auth = no*
*ntlm auth = no*
*lanman auth = no* (Read from lists.org that if we set ntlm auth as well as
lanman auth to 'no', samba will default to NTLMv2 security support).
But, still connection is not working from Vista.

Is there any configuration parameters missed out for this particular type of
security??

Please help in getting the solution if you've faced the same issue.

Thanks in Advance
Gomathi (Wipro)