[Samba] Advertising Samba shares on the local network via mDNS

James Peach jorgar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 04:38:35 GMT 2007

On 01/02/07, Rishi Srivatsavai <rishisv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/1/07, James Peach <jorgar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > ones)
> > > applications
> appreciate
> > > if
> be
> include

> > > Do you happen to know what the service type is in the advertisement?
> > > I am guessing this is Samba on Mac OS X Server release. I don't have
> > > access to the Server release to figure it out.
> >
> > No, it's on Desktop. The service type would be whatever launchd
> > decides to advertise ... it's probably derived from
> > /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/smbd.plist somehow.
>
> Hmm looks like it is started up via inetd. If I start it in the foreground
> it doesn't appear to advertise anything though. I also added a
> bonjour key element in the smbd.plist file but still no go. Since there
> is no registered service type on dns-sd.org for samba I am guessing
> there is no support.

There is a _smb._tcp service (mdns?) type. I'm damned if I can find
where this is registered, though I get the impression that they are
supposed to be in /etc/services.

http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/Current/mDNSResponder-107.4/mDNSWindows/DNSServiceBrowser/Windows/Sources/ChooserDialog.cpp
http://www.avahi.org/browser/trunk/service-type-database/service-types?rev=1323

> > Who will be listening for these annoouncements?
>
> Well there are several tools and utilities users could use
> to discover the advertised shares from samba (& all other
> services) running on machines in the network.
> smbclient could also be enhanced to discover shares via mDNS.

fair enough

James Peach | jorgar at gmail.com