Samba 4 build system (was: Re: Samba3 build farm can't execute smbtorture4 anymore)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 26 03:30:14 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 02:23 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 23.12.2007, 23:01 +0100 schrieb Volker Lendecke:
> > On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 04:54:34PM -0500, simo wrote:
> > > Then the right way is to work out a way to build it statically, it will
> > > be useful in general, not fork it out.

> > > Then fix it, not fork it.
> > If Jelmer says he is not able to make the Samba4 build
> > system link that statically, I am certainly not.
> This is a fundamental flaw in the Samba 4 build system, and not one that
> can be easily fixed afaik.

I had hoped that as the system can determine circular dependencies, it
could simply proceed as if the second reference to the circle wasn't
there at all...

But while I can use our build system, the closest I've got to working on
it is the auto-generation of .mk files from the asn.1 sources.

> The build system looks like a good example of Not-Invented-Here.
> However, about a year ago, I did an inquiry into the various
> alternatives that were available at the time and didn't come up with
> anything better. Most alternatives either require installing another
> application and are too big to include in Samba or don't care about
> working on platforms like AIX, Solaris, etc.

Has this changed now that Python is a reasonable dependency to require?
(Given the move to python for our internal scripting)

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>