Samba3 build farm can't execute smbtorture4 anymore

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Dec 23 17:13:30 GMT 2007

Am Sonntag, den 23.12.2007, 17:12 +0100 schrieb Volker Lendecke:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 04:41:35PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 04:32:34PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > > Host "opi" for example shows:
> >
> > Ok, possible that I found it myself. 04710626e17.
> Ok, LDB in Samba4 needs to be built as a shared library.
> Otherwise it will not work, at least that's what Jelmer
> tells me.
>
> I would like to request that for the build farm the Samba3
> team forks a version of Samba4 where smbtorture builds fine.
> And I request that this version is not touched anymore
> except with very-well defined changes.
The reason ldb (and its modules) are being built as shared libraries at
the moment is that otherwise there are circular dependencies. For
example, the credentials code depends on LDB and LDB depends on the
credentials code through LDB_ILDAP. The build system doesn't deal with this well at all.

We used to get around this by a number of hacks. For example,
overriding the LDFLAGS or hoping one of the sibling dependencies
brought in a particular subsystem.

I'm not sure whether the build system can be fixed to deal with this
correctly. The only way I can think of would probably hit the 1024-argument
limit on several systems.

I wonder whether we should go back to a Samba3-like Makefile, perhaps spread out over multiple files
(as all makes appear to support the "include" keywords).

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org