Evaluating Windows Security Descriptors.

Wed Dec 19 19:35:52 GMT 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 01:22:13PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> The FS does keep track of both Posix and Windows security information.  The
> preference is to apply Posix semantics in Posix environments (NFS, local
> users, stuff like that) and Windows semantics in Windows environments.  CIFS
> counts as a Windows environment.

Others have been there and failed. This is a broken design
that your customers will be *very* unhappy with, I've seen
that myself. Your complete interoperability story falls to
pieces when you tell them that the semantics depends upon
what subsystem come from. Look at for example the posix
subsystem in Win32. You could not access critical system
resources (i.e. the network...) while being trapped in
there.

Probably you might be better off going with OpenSolaris and
their in-kernel CIFS server.

Volker

P.S: I know I'm being cynic, but this distinction is a fully
and 100% broken idea.