[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch v3-2-test updated - initial-v3-2-unstable-713-g7a911b3

Tue Dec 18 10:51:02 GMT 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 11:33:30AM +0100, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
> I thought gencache was originally implemented for this reason :-)

There's two reasons why I did not use gencache for this:

First, it's tdb, so there are syscalls around. I want this
to be very fast, so I want to avoid those. I have printed
out some documentation on futexes, they might be an option
in the future but they seem to be quite tricky, in
particular if you add the crash-safe futex stuff over the
pure ones.

Second, and this is the more important one: When we share
this we might have a potential information leak between
processes. For some information (sid2uid and friends) this
might be uncritical, but for other stuff like the stat cache
this might be a bit more sensitive.

Volker