GPL v3 and 2008 server

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Tue Dec 11 11:07:52 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 11:57:21 feroz ahmed wrote:
> Hi Volker,

> changes.
>

> Sorry, I didnt understand this can you explain bit clearly.

If you pull patches licensed under the GPLv3 into "GPLv2 or later", you need
to distribute the resulting code under the GPLv3. So doing this will get you
nothing that just using Samba 3.2.x won't give you as well.

The only difference is when the author of a patch explicitly allows
backporting the patch to GPLv2 code, as we usually do with security and bug
fixes.

Hope this helps,
Kai

--