Making an XP-like printer test work against Samba 3.2

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Mon Dec 10 18:30:26 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

in the past weeks I've been working on a Samba4 torture test that mimics the
traffic occurring when browsing for a printer from a WinXP client to a Win2k3
server[1].

When I went to try this against Samba 3.2, I stumbled over a couple of issues.
The one that I couldn't quite figure out how to fix instead of just hacking
around it is the is_myname_or_ipaddr() in util_sock.c

During make test runs, there's an smbd listening on 127.0.0.2, but
is_myname_or_ipaddr() doesn't accept that IP address. Now Jerry, who was a
great help in pointing me at the actual problem, asked me to see if I could
fix this in a way that would work for IPv4 127.0.0.0/24 and the equivalent
IPv6 address range.

While I'm at it, in util_sock.c:2127 we return false if is_loopback_addr()
returns true. But on line 2090, we already catch this case and return true.
I assume the behaviour on line 2090 is the intended one, I wonder if there's a
reason why 127.0.0.0/24 wouldn't be acceptable, though.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Kai

[1]
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=kai/samba/v4-0-test.git;a=shortlog;h=spoolss-test