Should we do a alpha2 now?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 7 10:46:02 GMT 2007

I'm wondering if we should make a Samba4 alpha2 before, or after the
python merge?

The code is churning a lot recently, and it's only going to be worse
once we merge in the python code.  I'm wondering if we might be better
off making a release now, particularly now that MMC Active Directory
Users and Computers (ADUC) is better behaved?

Perhaps we could do the GIT conversion just after that release?

For those not following the commits, I've been working on things that
the ADUC plugin use for group manipulation, such as extended DNs, linked
attributes and ranged-results.  The associated fixes also addresses
issues seen at the plugfest, where some 3rd party clients applied the
'extended dn' control to bind requests.

In other changes since the last alpha, we have rolled back SWAT to the
earlier version without the AJAX LDB editor, but have added in
pre-configuration for phpLDAPAdmin.

With regard to other things I had hoped to see land for an alpha2
release, we still don't have CTDB or clustering in Samba4.  That effort
appears to have stalled around the release of the Samba3 implementation
of that code.

Any thoughts?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.