SMB printing via port 445 through an SSH tunnel

Prakash Velayutham Prakash.Velayutham at cchmc.org
Tue Dec 4 17:47:50 GMT 2007

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong list. Please do let me know which list this
should go to. I am also copying samba at lists.samba.org.

I am trying to print to a Network printer configured in a Win XP (SP
2) box (shared out) through a SSH tunnel from a Linux system.
I have disabled Netbios over TCP/IP, so port 139 is already closed in
the Win XP box.
SSH tunnel is created with -R 4000:localhost:445 using PuTTY in the
Win XP system.

When I try
smbspool "smb://username:password@CMC-NT/cmcclient1/HPBW" "" "" "job"
1 "" batch.bat
I momentarily see a "Remote Downlevel Document" but the document gets
printed correctly.

But, when I try
prakash at ubiquitin:~> smbspool "smb://username:password@127.0.0.1:4000/HPBW
" "" "" "job" 1 "" batch.bat
session request to 127.0.0.1 failed (Call timed out: server did not
respond after 10000 milliseconds)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Call timed out: server did not
respond after 10000 milliseconds)
session request to 127.0.0.1 failed (Call timed out: server did not
respond after 10000 milliseconds)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Call timed out: server did not
respond after 10000 milliseconds)

Should this work or am I missing something?

I am having issues with smbclient too in this case.

samba-3.0.23d-6
samba-client-3.0.23d-6

Any ideas?

Thanks,