Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Henrik Nordstrom henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri Aug 31 19:35:52 GMT 2007

On fre, 2007-08-31 at 09:48 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 11:43:33AM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> >
> > If I were you I would settle for UTF-8 in all windbind calls regardless
> > of the unix charset, and have the clients (including
> > pam_wibind,nss_winbind,smbd and ntlm_auth) convert it as needed to their
> > locale. Adding negotiation is certainly overkill and not something I
> > would recommend, other than possibly to negotiate between "as-is" unix
> > charset and utf-8.
>
> The problem with that is it forces wb client libraries to use iconv
> - there's no way to do iconv handle management there. This seems very ugly to me.

I buy Simos arguments now. winbind when used by nss and pam should use
the unix charset, which should be the same as the system default charset
(anything else is a broken setup).

But at the same time I see no big problem with having the ability to
negotiate the charset used for other tools such as ntlm_auth and wbinfo
when needed, or the discussed winbind client library.. But this (the
charset negotiation) should not be used by nss or pam for obvious
reasons. And I do consider only supporting the unix charset fine..

More and more setups will move to utf-8 over time, making this much less
of a problem, in fact mostly a problem for already existing setups, or
new setups with existing filesystems using other charsets..  The
existing setups have (at least most of them) learnt to live with this
already, and it's not very hard to explain these limitations to new
setups.

Regards
Henrik