[SAMBA4] SWAT2 maintainer?

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Fri Aug 31 14:27:02 GMT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:49:52AM +0200, Matthias Dieter Walln?fer wrote:

> I would prefer if we separate SWAT 2 from the main branch (like the
> GTK+ stuff). We should create a separate branch and find a person, who
> develops it. Otherwise, if there isn't some interest I don't know at
> the moment if we should progress.

This brings up the question of Elektra, http://elektra.g4ii.com . Jerry
has looked at it (and mentored an SoC student iirc.) I love the goal of
SWAT (Tridge's intention was that experienced administrators would
choose to use it by preference, as well as beginners) but I suspect it
is probably out of scope for Samba.

Something like Elektra benefits from all the front ends that people are
motivated to write, and where those front ends are flexible enough to
have plugins with service-specific state, they probably will do a better
job than the Samba team.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org