[Samba 4] HOWTO file

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 31 09:21:44 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 09:30 +0200, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> It isn't clear to me because this is written in the HOWTO files from the
> TPs:
>
> Run this:
>
>   $ cd samba4/source
>   $ ./configure
>   $ make proto all
>
> If you have gcc 3.4 or newer, then substitute "pch" for "proto" to
> greatly speed up the compile process (about 5x faster).
>
> I think "make all" or "make clean all" should be enough to build, so
> I've done it also with the SVNs.

Indeed, over the evolution of the build system, 'make proto' has become
'make basics', which is a pre-dependency of 'make all'.

With includes.h being stripped right back these days, has anybody done
any timing tests to see what saving 'make pch' makes these days?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.