[SAMBA4] SWAT2 maintainer?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 31 00:43:07 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:40 -0400, Derrell Lipman wrote:
> On 8/30/07, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> > I've had some issues with the LDB Browser in Samba4 - it doesn't seem to
> > like displaying the user records, probably the new password attribute.
> >
> > Derrell:  You did the initial work on this right?  Do you intend to look
> > after it long-term, or did you pass that on to someone else?  Where does
> > the LDB browser fit into this?
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Yes, I did the initial work and then Simo added a bunch of
> functionality.  Given that he's actively involved in what's going on
> and I'm so swamped with other things that I'm lucky to read all of the
> samba-technical messages, he's probably a much better person to look
> into the current problems.  I'll be glad to provide assistance if he
> has any issues.

Simo:  I really like the LDB browser, but the inability for it to
display user entries is a bit of a let down.  I know you are busy, but
any clues as to why this is happening would be much appreciated.

> > As we move to the alpha, how should we describe SWAT in terms of status?
>
> See my other message.  I'd like to think that SWAT2 has a future, but
> I don't see myself having the time to add lots of modules.  Modules
> are not hard to add once one gains some experience with developing
> qooxdoo apps, but it probably does require that some people decide
> that they want to work on it.  Again, I'll be glad to offer
> assistance; I just don't, unfortunately, have the available bandwidth
> to commit to adding modules and new functionality myself.

My concern is that I don't see that happening at the moment - indeed,
should we include it in the alpha?

I *really* like the interactive LDB browser, but do we just give our
users false hope if we demo something that just doesn't have the
developers behind it to bring it to a conclusion?

Alternately, is there another web-based LDAP browser we could encourage
users to use (such as phpLdapAdmin)?

On the flip side, should we make this aspect of SWAT an external project
- it would seem useful well beyond Samba4, why lock it up?  Perhaps it
could attract more and useful developer attention elsewhere?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.