Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 29 12:44:36 GMT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:22:00AM -0400, simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 07:41 +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > So, an *old* Ubuntu system could be non UTF-8 by default if it just
> > has been upgraded since installed, but a new one is UTF-8 by default.
>
> Yes, it ended up we were talking of an old system. In any case it was
> just an example, the logic is that if a distribution does not use utf8
> it should also change unix charset to match the user environment and the
> locale files are written down into.

It's already moderately fiddly for OS installers to set the locale in
all the right places; the fewer configuration files that need to be
changed to match (and hence potentially get out of sync later) the
better. Is there no way this can be detected from the locale instead,
assuming that the init script that starts samba arranges for samba to be
started with the system default locale?