Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Aug 29 05:41:21 GMT 2007

(discussion in samba-technical about encoding used by winbindd)

Jeremy Allison:
> > Why ? Because the default locale is en_US, and winbindd defaults
> > to unix charset of utf8.

Simo Sorce:
> The bug is in Ubuntu not using utf8 as their default locale or in Ubuntu
> not setting unix charset = iso8859-1 in smb.conf

Hmmm.

As far as my understanding goes, Ubuntu *does* use UTF-8 locales by
default, just like we do in Debian since etch (except for a few
languages, such as Bulgarian, because of a mistake of mine..but
English is definitely not among these).

That should be confirmed by a Ubuntu developer (Colin Watson CC'ed,
even if I do it with his Debian address) but I would be surprised if
they don't do UTF-8 by default.

However, the switch to "full UTF-8" probably happened in Ubuntu
between 2005 and 2007, roughly at the moment the Debian Installer
itself switched to full UTF-8 (the different release schedules between
Debian and Ubuntu do not help figuring when this happened exactly from
my side). Colin will certainly be more precise than me.

So, an *old* Ubuntu system could be non UTF-8 by default if it just
has been upgraded since installed, but a new one is UTF-8 by default.

When it comes at smb.conf, neither Debian nor Ubuntu do enforce "unix
charset" in their default install of Samba.