Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 22:47:21 GMT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:38:19AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Given the reality that most of us work on systems that use just one
> charset (even in multiple locales), as to most of our users, how are we
> going to ensure we don't break this, or introduce security issues as a
> result of this, in future?

With a test infrastructure for winbindd, this one will be easy
to test (ensure name UU exists, setlocale(XX), check getpwnam
correctly queries for the unxi charset version of UU).

As for security issues, the same way we do for all of Samba,
write the best code we can, test it and respond to reviews.
There are no magic bullets for security.

Jeremy.