Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 21:36:09 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 15:03 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 11:46 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:34:18PM -0400, simo wrote:
> >
> > > I think I get this perfectly well.
> >
> > So you know how broken we are right now on any client locale <> uft8 ?
> > And you're ok with this ?
>
> No, WE are not broken, as we let user choose the unix charset, it's just
> we choose the most popular and useful default.

> Except, that we are not talking about network connections!!
>
> Jeremy,
>
> q: if you have your name in utf8 in /etc/passwd and you change your
> login locale does things break?
> a: YES
> q: if your filenames are written with utf8 characters and you use a
> different locale do things look funny?
> a: YES
>
> Locale is something that is meant to be set per system, not per session,
> the fact that you can do insane things like changing the session locale
> so that it is different from the system locale does not mean we have to
> help it.

I strongly agree with Simo here.  For as long as there remains an
implied tie between login names, filesystem representations and,
configuration file ACLs, I don't see how we can even think to allow
winbind to answer the same query with different binary results between
users.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.