Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 20:50:40 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 15:45 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> simo,
>
> > I think the problem (no offense) is that Jeremy is
> > not used to work with different charsets for real and is not
> > thinking about the consequences of the "easy fix".
>
> You lost some street cred on that one.
>
> Jeremy can champion his own proposals but this is a
> cheap shot since he's been responsible for a majority of
> the i18n work in Samba for as many years as I remember.

I know that Jeremy has done a lot of work on that but yet he does not
probably use anything not in the iso8859-1 charset it on his system on a
day by day basis for his own files. Or maybe he does and is just
under-evaluating (from my POV) the consequences of translating string in
nss.

One thing is working in abstract on i18n another is facing them, and
this is also why we have historically had a poor record with i18n
problems. Yes we are in better shape now then in the past and a lot does
not depend on samba itself, that does not mean we are champions on i18n
problems.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce