Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 19:22:58 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 03:03:49PM -0400, simo wrote:

> Locale is something that is meant to be set per system, not per session,
> the fact that you can do insane things like changing the session locale
> so that it is different from the system locale does not mean we have to
> help it.

Fundemental disagreement is here. Locale's can be changed between nss
calls. We might not like it but we must support it.

> I may claim as well that, as you are using a broken distribution, your
> opinion is flawed, but I don't do that cause I don't think you are
> stupid and I don't want to piss you off.

That's ok, I've been called worse :-). I just think you're really
wrong on this that's all :-).

> I would agree with, and even welcome, a patch to implement unix charset
> = auto and use that by default and determine at daemon startup what is
> the current system locale. That would be a good patch and a better
> default.
> Cluttering winbindd code instead would be not IMO.

No, this is the wrong solution. I don't understand your
objection. It's a clear bug, and this change is not different
from rpcstr_push()/rpcstr_pull(). Do *these* calls clutter
the code ? If not, why these are ok and not a similar
wb_clientstr_push()/wb_clientstr_pull() ?

Jeremy.