Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 18:46:50 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:34:18PM -0400, simo wrote:

> I think I get this perfectly well.

So you know how broken we are right now on any client locale <> uft8 ?
And you're ok with this ?

> The bug is in Ubuntu not using utf8 as their default locale or in Ubuntu
> not setting unix charset = iso8859-1 in smb.conf

Just because Fedora does it right, doesn't give you the right to
leave a bug for everyone else.

> Yes and this is correct as winbind clients are local process, no
> networking is involved and we assume unix charset _has_ to be set up
> with the right value for your system if your system does not use utf8.

locale can be set per client.

> No, it's not WE that break, it's THEM, the clients are broken, or the
> sysadmin not competent, or the distribution has broken defaults.
> It is the same if you use nss_ldap or nis, you have to use the right
> locale.

Hmmm. All locales <> unix charset are broken huh ?
This is not acceptable (IMHO). It's what we used to
do in Samba 1.x days : "just set your character set
parameter to that of your DOS clients. What is I have
more than one DOS client character set ? You're screwed
mate....."

> But we can argue on this point if you want, but don't assume people do
> not understand, people here simply do not agree with you, which is
> different.

Nope, I still think you're not understanding how serious
this bug is :-). That's 'cos it doesn't affect Red Hat
systems :-).

Jeremy.