Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 18:40:21 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 12:17 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

>    I think the 5% case really is a minor point, because the files
>    on the filesystem are charset dependent. So user A creates
>    <funky japanese name in UTF-8>, then the filename won't
>    show up correctly when user B tries to access it. ls, chmod,
>    touch, etc., they're all affected.

Exactly,
this is my point, even if the user is allowed to login, all file names
are broken for him, so we are just worsening the problem by giving the
false hope that something is working.
Failing sooner is better in this case.

> So the question is not who owns the bug, but rather who can
> (or should) fix it.  And what we should tell said customers
> and Samba users.

My answer would be: make your system consistent!
Mixing charset is wrong anyway, just don't do it.
And to broken distributions just: fix your distro, either use a sane
default (utf8) or accordingly a sane default smb.conf that has an
appropriate unix charset.

I think we (samba) can't fix this problem.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer