strange nmblookup discrepancy

eje4 eje4 at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 24 14:48:46 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm using Samba 3.0.22 and have it set up as a PDC.  I've recently found
that for some reason I'm unable to join a WinXP client to the domain that is
being controlled by Samba.  In the process of trying to troubleshoot this I
noticed a strange discrepancy.  When I run "nmbclient -M PLAB" (where PLAB
is the name of our domain) on the Samba server machine, shouldn't I get a
response back indicating that the server machine, i.e. the machine I am
running the nmblookup command on, is the master browser for the PLAB domain?
But I don't get that.  Instead I get a list of several client machines on
our domain, none of which is configured as a master browser or a domain
controller.

Does anyone know of a reason why nmblookup would not be able to recognize
the master browser properly?  Here's the contents of our [global] section of
smb.conf:

        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        invalid users = bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp
        max log size = 100
        print command = /bin/lp -d%p %s; sleep 5; rm -f %s
        printer = 128_1
        printing = SYSV

        netbios name = pleiades
        workgroup = PLAB