server/client communication problem w/PDC

eje4 eje4 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:47:12 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a perplexing problem with our Samba domain
controller setup.  We're using Samba 3.0.22 and we have our Samba server set
up as a PDC.  We have been using it successfully as a PDC with several of
our WinXP clients for many months.  However recently I tried to join a new
WinXP client to the domain and I can't get it to join.  I've setup the
machine record properly on the server, and as far as I can see the
configuration of the client is the same as the configuration of our other
clients which ARE joined successfully to the domain.

What happens is: I go to the computer name control panel on the client and
put in the computer name (which agrees with the name setup in the machine
account record on the server) and the domain name.  When I click OK I am
prompted for the account and password on the server for the root account.
So far so good.  I put in root and the root password on the client machine.
When I submit this I get an error message back saying that the user name
(i.e. root) could not be found.  However there is definitely a samba account
record for root on the samba server.  In fact when I examine the samba log
it says that the account root was authenticated successfully.  BUT THEN the
log shows an error when an attempt was made to write a message back to the
client:

"Write_data: write failure in writing to client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Error
broken pipe.
lib/util_sock.c: send_smb
Error writing 4 bytes to client.  -1.  (Broken pipe)"

So it appears that the root account is being authenticated properly when I
try to join the domain, but that the server is for some reason unable to
notify the client that the authentication was successful.

Has anybody seen a problem like this before?  I'm not running any firewalls
on the client that would inhibit the server from contacting it.  I'm
stumped.  If anyone has any suggestions for how I can continue to
troubleshoot this, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks very much,
Eric