Tighten up password security for 3.2?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 22 03:45:04 GMT 2007

I wondered if, given we are bumping the release version number to 3.2,
if we should tighten up some of the defaults for Samba 3.2?
(Particularly given the precedent with Vista also tightening up on what
it will send).

I'm wondering if we should refuse to send plaintext and LM passwords by
default?  Currently users passwords could be exposed on the network,
either as plaintext or as an LM response, if someone spoofs a server and
doesn't negotiate NTLMSSP (and the right options).

The base work for this was done ages ago, when i added in the client
plaintext auth and client lanman auth parameters, so it's just a matter
of changing defaults.

This would break connections to standalone Win9X servers, and Samba
servers still configured in plaintext mode.  Everything else has
understood NTLM for years.

Likewise we might want to look at only accepting NTLM and NTLMv2 on the
server side (again, as a default).

Thoughts?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.