3.0.25c release underway...LTS Q?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Aug 20 14:53:47 GMT 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 09:27, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Samba 3.0.25c will be released later today if all goes well.
> This brings up the question of the long term support strategy
> for the 3.0.25 series.  Given that the next planned release
> will be 3.2.0, we should make a decision about when to EOL
> the Samba 3.0.x branch.
>
> Currently, the plan is that the SAMBA_3_0_25 branch will
> only receive critical patches and security fixes.  I'd propose
> that we EOL the Samba 3.0 branch on Aug 31, 2008.  That gives
> people 12 months to become comfortableew 3.2.x
> series.
>
> Comments?
>
> If someone wants to manage the SAMBA_3_0 maintenance releases,
> I'll be happy to work with them.  Otherwise I will watch over
> both the SAMBA_3_0 and SAMBA_3_2 releases.

I've told a number of people that 3.0.x is headed for critical security
updates only and this has generated no ill responses. Also, so far as
documentations updates are concerned, I have explained that the only planned
revisions are for 3.2.0 - no negative feedback on that either.

One person suggested that I should pull some of the documentation from the
Wiki into the HOWTO - does anyone see any reason why this should (or should
not) happen? If we do this, it will of course need to be carefully checked.

- John T.