Custom VFS Module Help

Fri Aug 17 14:29:09 GMT 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 09:46:43PM +0800, Petr Cervenka [cerw] wrote:
> I thought perhaps we could just take control of some of the API (ie, the
> lock/unlock portions of the SMB API) and leave the rest to work on the

The problem is that there is no single lock/unlock portion
of the SMB API, locking is spread all over the place and is
*VERY* latency critical because it's called a *LOT*. Just
pressing F5 in explorer showing a hundred files will cause
huge amounts of out-calls to the locking subsystem. You
don't want to do this against a Mysql database, believe me.

In essence, what you want is a really clustered Samba with a
clustered file system and mirroring in the background. We're
right now in the process finishing this up just for the LAN
cluster case. If that's done, we might start thinking about
how we can get this across a WAN.  It has taken us a
considerable amount of work to get clustered Samba to the
point where it is now, and that work is not finished yet if
it will ever be finished.

I think for your application it would be simpler to get a
WAN accelerator box and just do with one file server on one
side.

Volker