Custom VFS Module Help

Fri Aug 17 07:07:23 GMT 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 02:16:32PM +0800, Petr Cervenka [cerw] wrote:
> we are lookinf for someone who might help us with our problem/task. We
> willing to write VFS Module which will does lookup in MYSQL and do
> user based locking on files, and after unlock it will transfer the
> file to another destination. Basicaly it's gonna be two SMB servers on
> differnet locations, and this module will keep them SYNC (rsync) and
> make sure noone is using the file at the same times. (lock,unlock).
> Question is is this setup possible?  Will it work? And if how much of
> coding is needed?

You would have to link yourself into the KERNEL_FLOCK
operation so that clients upon conflict get a
SHARING_VIOLATION error message. Then there's the CLOSE
operation that you will need to hook into to unlock and
possibly rsync to the other site.

I'm pretty sure this can be made to work, my main worries
would be speed and robustness in case of any failure in
between.

Volker