CTDB

Andrew B. Lundgren lundgren at byu.net
Fri Aug 17 03:54:37 GMT 2007

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> The design CTDB is for doesn't have the file residing on node2 as much
>>> as residing on a SAN, with access via any node.  If your 'SAN' actually
>>> happens to be a cluster of servers with local disk, then perhaps you are
>>> really looking for an MSDFS-based redirect setup (where your virtual
>>> cluster simply redirects clients to the correct node to find their
>>> file).

>>> To avoid that double-hop, then you probably want the MSDFS design.
>>>
>>> If your kernel-level cluster FS hides the detail about where the file
>>> actually is, then CTDB doesn't care about the details, as long as open()
>>> gets the file.
>>>

>> My cluster will be made up of discs connected to the nodes, not on a
>> SAN, so perhaps that is the route I need to take.  I have spent a bit of
>> time reading about DFS and I know SAMBA is able to do that as well.  The
>> only question I am left with is managing disk space.  It seems that as a
>> portion of the DFS fills, I will have to augment that portion manually.
>> I still need to learn how to do that.
>>

> I'm sure someone has created complex management applications to handle
> this kind of thing, but it very much depends on your needs.
>
> BTW, how are you handling data redundancy?
>
> Remember that any two systems that actively share the same directory
> must be linked with CTDB.  If your system is not active/active for a
> single directory, then you don't need CTDB.

The clusters themselves will be replicated, so that will provide one
level of redundancy.  Within a DFS, I don't know yet.  I haven't
research the DFS enough yet.

So, if I set up two DFS shares in SAMBA that are configured as replicas
of the same data, I will need to be using CTDB on the two nodes with the
replicated DFS data?