CTDB

Andrew B. Lundgren lundgren at byu.net
Fri Aug 17 03:43:05 GMT 2007

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> It is certainly more production ready than the alternatives for Samba on
> clustered filesystems (which have too often boiled down to 'pray
> hard' :-)

:)  Would that include the lustre pCIFS windows client?

>> Given a 4 node cluster, with file A residing on node 2.  When a windows
>> client requests file A, how does the data get to it?
>>

> The design CTDB is for doesn't have the file residing on node2 as much
> as residing on a SAN, with access via any node.  If your 'SAN' actually
> happens to be a cluster of servers with local disk, then perhaps you are
> really looking for an MSDFS-based redirect setup (where your virtual
> cluster simply redirects clients to the correct node to find their
> file).
>

>> Will the client go to any random node in the cluster and request the
>> file A and then be directed to node 2 to pull the file, or will the file
>> be pulled to the random node from node 2 and then sent to the client?
>>

> To avoid that double-hop, then you probably want the MSDFS design.
>
> If your kernel-level cluster FS hides the detail about where the file
> actually is, then CTDB doesn't care about the details, as long as open()
> gets the file.

My cluster will be made up of discs connected to the nodes, not on a
SAN, so perhaps that is the route I need to take.  I have spent a bit of
time reading about DFS and I know SAMBA is able to do that as well.  The
only question I am left with is managing disk space.  It seems that as a
portion of the DFS fills, I will have to augment that portion manually.
I still need to learn how to do that.

Thank you again for your input.  If you have a favorite DFS doc site,
please let me know.  I am googleing for the moment.

--
Andrew