svn commit: samba r24465 - in branches/SAMBA_3_2_0/source/libsmb: .

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Thu Aug 16 00:09:19 GMT 2007

On 8/15/07, Gerald (Jerry) Carter <jerry at samba.org> wrote:

> Sorry, but aren't we talking about libsmbclient here.  What
> Gnome developers do you know that care about ACL sorting?   If
> you want the most flexibility, then add a function ptr to
> your own sorting function.  But by default an API should be
> hard to misuse.
>
> If I understand the bug report, there was a problem setting ACLs
> via libsmbclient due to misordering.  Derrell's change fixes that.
>
> So before I keep stepping up to bat on this one, someone
> please confirm that I followed the original thread correctly.
> Thanks.

Yes, you interpreted the original thread correctly.  This is only for
libsmbclient and how it takes extended atrributes provided by the user
application, and converts and sends them to a windows server to modify an
ACL.  Since libsmbclient has always sort the ACEs and we've never had a
request that they not be sorted, the fix today which made the sorting a bit
more strict and now follows some guidance from MS should cause no one any
pain who was not already in pain.  If anyone other than Henrik (the OP of
this bug report) was previously in pain over this, we haven't heard from
them.

I have left open a note to myself in this bug report to look into an option
to not sort the ACEs, but it's pretty low priority for me right now unless I
start hearing from users actually needing that capability.

I fully agree with your earlier statement that this API should be easy to
use and difficult to shoot oneself in the foot with.  I don't intend to
remove the sorting by default.

Thanks,

Derrell